1.05.2010

A FLIGHT FROM STAGNATION


BENGALS BOMB IN BEANTOWN BOW BUT DAILY THRILLS AWAIT

By C. Jedediah Butterworth
Base Ball Freescriber

August 27, 1924

BOSTON—I meet Mr. Munsey of the New York Sun outside Fenway Park this morning, and sign my contract to write for his newspaper on top of a sausage wagon. The new venue does have a sweet, meaty aroma to it. While the Sun will own the first day of publication, I will keep my "freescriber" status and be able to sell my work twenty-four hours later to anyone I desire. What's more, Munsey's outift will handsomely pay for all of my travel necessities, which will be numerous and swift if I am to follow both pennant leaders. In fact, as I climb the steps into the Fenway press row, I worry that I am diving into a pot of boiling water too hot to grasp.

Then I look up to see the host of reporters doffing their boaters and clapping at me. All ball writers secretly wish for the freedom and respect I've just obtained, and are either honored to have me among them or thrilled I'm to be leaving. I vote on the former scenario.

My ball club apparently never receives the telegram, though, for they turn in their second straight ghastly showing to close out the far eastern portion of their trip. Ed Wells throws his usual nonsense in the 1st, giving Boston two runs on four quick singles before settling down to watch from the dugout in despair as Alex Ferguson smotes his mates. The Tigers only score a run in the 4th after Geygan throws away a Lu Blue grounder and Bassler singles him in.

Detroit does put other men aboard throughout, but each effort is wasted, and it's just a matter of time before Wells loses his mettle again. Yes, with two outs in the last of the 8th and no one on base, Shano Collins rips his third single, Val Picinich triples, Homer Ezzell singles and the Red Sox lead is three. Shano makes a hideous two-base error in the top of the 9th to help us get both tallies back, but it only makes for a more frustrating defeat when Manush and Heilman roll out with the lead runs aboard.

So the Tigers slink off to St. Louis for the weekend, tails drooping. I exit the ball park gate, ready to start the next phase of my employment, when a taxicab screeches up to the curb in front of me. A shadowy figure leaps out of the back door, yanks me inside and we drive off.

"Congrats, chief."

I turn and see it's Dean C. Smith the, wild young flier who piloted me from Michigan to Pennsylvania for the great white/colored series in Darby. He has a flask in his hand and something foul on his breath.

"Nice gig they gave ya, Cal old buddy. Sounds like you're gonna need a little bit of aerial transport to make it all work, dontcha think?"

Come to think of it, I probably do, but Smith smacks the driver on the shoulder before I can even reply.

"East Boston Airfield, on the quick."

DET 000 100 002 - 3 6 0
BOS 200 000 02x - 4 10 2

Other American League games played today:

BROWNS 5-11-0, at SENATORS 3-6-1
The tough Brownies steal another one from the Nats, who they are now a decent 8-11 against. Mogridge gives them four runs early and Danforth keeps the wall up until Washington gets three of them back late. But a big Jacobson double off Slim McGrew in the 9th basically finishes the game and keeps Detroit ten back on the highway.

at YANKEES 4-5-1, INDIANS 3-11-1
Ruth finally does what he's paid to do, swatting his 37th homer, a 3-run shot, in the 6th inning off Sherry Smith to erase what was a 3-1 Tribe lead and make Sad Sam Jones happy.

at ATHLETICS 2-5-0, WHITE SOX 1-8-3
The kind of ridiculous affair Chicago often wins this time goes to their enemy. Rommel outfoxes his way out of many predicaments, then breaks the 1-1 tie with a scoring single in the 7th to plate Harry Riconda.










AMERICAN LEAGUE through Wednesday, August 27
Washington Senators 7847.624
Detroit Tigers 6958.54310
Chicago White Sox 6361.50814.5
New York Yankees 6063.48817
St. Louis Browns 6166.48018
Boston Red Sox 5966.47219
Philadelphia Athletics 5770.44922
Cleveland Indians 5672.43823.5

No comments:

Post a Comment