9.28.2009

ANOTHER DAY OF INDEPENDENCE


CHURCH FOR SOME, REFLECTION FOR OTHERS, BASEBALL-FREE FOR ALL

PHILADELPHIA, July 13

Dearest Bonnie,

I am writing this to you on a shady park bench in Rittenhouse Square. On a long base ball road trip such as this it's always a decided pleasure to have a full day's respite, so a healthy huzzah goes out to Pennsylvania for enacting their Sunday "blue laws" that prohibit ball-playing.

I have the same room at the Warwick I was given on my last visit, and it seems vast and empty without you here to share it with. Many of the fellows on the team make special plans on days like this to see old friends or new ones that I am not at liberty to speak of, but for me it is always a simple, though bittersweet trick to give myself a fine walking tour of the city and pretend my darling wife is on my arm.

I visited Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell this morning, and enjoyed a walk along the Schuylkill until the hot sun felt like it was crisping the top of my boater. A polite young man named Benjamin who delivered your telegram to me in the press row after yesterday's game met me at the hotel this morning to give me a rather inexpensive shoeshine, and told me exactly how to get to Strawbridge and Clothier's. I hear they are a fine department store that has been around for quite a while, and look forward to buying you the hat you asked for.

It has been a wild and exhausting pennant chase for our Tigers, even without our four-game debacle in Washington. A 154-game season is just too long, and base ball would be wise to insert some kind of mid-campaign vacation for the players and writers and followers, if only for a few days. It would be a joy to spend those days with you and the wee ones without a moment's thought of batting averages and ornery personalities.

As we did on our last eastern sojourn, from here we will travel to Boston and New York before I rail back into your arms on July 25th. If only I could persuade you to join me with the children in Manhattan next week I would be a happy man, or even happier if you could leave them with Aunt Sue and come on your own. But I realize travel and the bigger cities don't agree with you, so please don't think of me as the pushy sort.

For now, I will just enjoy your sweet, wispy presence on this historic bench.

My deepest love,

Calvin

Only American League contests today:

INDIANS 7-13-1, at SENATORS 3-12-1
The latest Washington streak is finally over, as Sherry Smith puts men on every base corner throughout but escapes every pickle. Firpo Marberry, meanwhile, reverts to his awful self after handling us his last time out and fares less well with his base runners. Joe Sewell cracks out three hits, including the game-winner in the 5th after a damaging gaffe by Ossie Bluege.

at YANKEES 9-10-0, BROWNS 0-6-1
Bullt Joe Bush spins his third shutout in the most convincing Yankee win in ages. Ruth strikes his 21st homer to cap off a three-run 3rd off Danforth, and Bill Bayne gets revenge later by plunking the Babe between big triples by Dugan and Pipp during a four-run 7th.










AMERICAN LEAGUE through Sunday, July 13
Washington Senators 5730.655
Detroit Tigers 4840.5459.5
New York Yankees 4540.52911
Chicago White Sox 4441.51812
St. Louis Browns 4146.47116
Cleveland Indians 3850.43219.5
Philadelphia Athletics 3750.42520
Boston Red Sox 3649.42420

No comments:

Post a Comment